Learning disabilities in reading are amongst those that are described generically to being not able to learn. This sort of a difficulty can result in a child having certain problems in learning specific skills. These are usually any or all of writing, reading, listening, speaking, reasoning and doing sums. These issues are quite common amongst most children across the globe and this is the reason why there are a lot of treatments and procedures being researched to fight back this issue. There are no such clear factors for the children learning difficulties treatment, but these can be some of the probable reasons for which the children can suffer from acute learning disabilities.
- Accidents after Birth: It is caused by head injuries. These are most common issues that affect the learning ability of the children in the long run.
- Heredity: This sort of a disorder is at times inherited despite the fact that a generation has been skipped. You should check and see if any reading difficulties in the past have been there in the other members of the family.
- Problems during Pregnancy and Birth: It can also be because of the mother having an accident, a drinking problem, fall, and smoking and even while taking drugs during pregnancy. The mothers are warned in pregnancy about certain things to avoid and if the mothers indulged in these things then these problems during pregnancy and birth could have an impact on the learning of the child.
What are the Different Modes and levels of Treatment that can be Administered?
- Medication: If the child's problems regarding reading have arisen from attention deficit disorder then the only effective treatment is medication which can enhance the concentration and attention span. This should only be done under the supervision of a disability specialist. The medicines are designed after a careful research and a lot of scientific experiments but it is important to take proper recommendation from the doctors before taking any medication.
- Special Education: This is amongst the most popular method for the treatment of learning difficulties. There are special teachers who will analyze the level of the child's problems in connection with their academic and intellectual potential to treat children learning difficulties treatment. They generally also teach the child to learn by building on their strengths while correcting their weaknesses. The teachers in these institutions are specially trained to handle the students with these difficulties and are patient and competent enough to help the students in the best way.
- Speech and Language Therapy: There are many sorts of learning disabilities in reading that stem from the difficulties of speaking and hearing so that proper therapies can be taken. The speech and language therapy helps to instill confidence in the child’s mind and this in turn helps him in the studies and other areas of life.
On not being satisfied with the progress your child is making, you can follow any of the above treatments.
Alternative ways for Children Learning Difficulties Treatment:
- You can take the help of a private tutor who will teach your child with reading difficulties. This might be an expensive affair as the private tutor will need to give specialized training and time for just one student and as a result the fees might be expensive. However, when you consider the long term benefits you can be sure that the personalized training will prove to be fruitful in the long run.
- Purchase phonics based reading course online that your child will be able to do at home with your help. These programs have been crafted in such a way so that they can be taken at the pace of your child. The lessons are short enough to hold the child's interest. These are designed in a way to around interest in children and so it becomes a happy and fun environment while learning new things. This helps to focus attention on the topic and also the child is able to enjoy the reading.
Enhance the Quality of the Domestic Environment:
Apart from availing of specialized instruction from experts, treating learning disabilities in reading in children may be achieved by providing a structured environment at home.
- It will be possible for you to set aside an hour out of your day to read to your child, which will go a long way in enhancing vocabulary and listening skills. The child will not only enjoy what you read but will also enjoy your being there with them and in a fun and happy atmosphere you can help your child to learn to read and write.
- Alternately, you may give your child the opportunity to read on his or her own to encourage independence. You may want to get speech recognition software and other interactive applications, if you have a dyslexic child who is a little older that engage the mind better. The technologies come handy and need a very less time to get familiar with and these are an easy way to teach your child.
- You should also remember to continue to keep helping your child to learn certain books or subjects over and over as repetition reinforces familiarity and comprehension. Repetition will help them to remember things and even if these are small things it will help to boost their confidence and this practice will help them in the long term.
Irrespective of the fact that you have observed learning disabilities in reading in your child early on or late in life, the learning disability should not be considered an obstacle for future success. You should however consider it as way to get your child to focus and dedicate more time to studying. Avail of the help of a specialist and make sure that personalized attention is given on the reading and writing abilities of the child. Maintain a structured environment at home and give your child all the necessary warmth, care and emotional support for children learning difficulties treatment.